Friday, October 28, 2011

Thrills and Chills: Could it be Satan??


      In the spirit of Halloween, an experience from my past came to mind that provided me with more thrills and chills than I could have bargained for.   Shortly after I first met my husband we went to our neighborhood Kmart to wander the store and see what was new.  Since we are both big kids at heart we were drawn to the game aisle and soon found ourselves eyeballing a Ouija board.  Although I had tried using a Ouija board before with my mom, my future husband never had and was soon eager to buy it and rush it to my house to give it a try.


       We sat side by side on the living room couch balancing the Ouija board between us on our laps.  We carefully placed our fingertips on the included plastic indicator.  Nervously we giggled as we decided what we would ask the talking board first.  We had both lost loved ones who we had been extremely close to and I think we both desperately wanted to make contact with each of them.  Not surprising then that the first question posed to the mystical board was “Is there anyone who would like to speak to us?”  After a brief hesitation the plastic indicator began to slowly move towards “yes”.  


         We held our breaths and asked the next obvious question: “who?” and the plastic indicator went wild and began to swirl across the surface stopping  at each letter in quick succession.  We read the letters out loud as they were revealed.  S - A - T-  A- N.   As the indicator finished the word it shot off the board right under our finger tips.  At the precise moment that our brains registered that the devil himself wanted to make our acquaintance a brisk wind blew through the living room.  From another room of the house,  my Persian cat Alicia May howled, screeched, and then raced down the center of the living room to the kitchen as if the devil himself was chasing her.  Pieces of paper flew in her wake.




 Satan!!! Holy hell!  We freaked out!  The Ouija board crashed to the floor as we jumped up scared $hitle$$.  The fact that Satan wanted to have a cozy chat with us scared the living be Je$us out of us.  The instant gut reaction was to get that crazy board out of the house NOW.   We rushed outside the back door grabbing a box of matches as we raced to the burning barrel which sat unsuspecting by a huge tree that bordered the property.  My dad had recently had the barrel dumped and as we threw the board, indicator, and box into the barrel we realized that the barrel was completely empty except for what we had just added.   My better half lit a match and threw it in the barrel.  We fully expected for the contents to burn slowly, so when flames immediately shot up into the tree tops burning hot and bright…we freaked out just a little more.   What in G0d’s name would cause the fire to burn so hot and so high?  Could it be Satan??  We fled to the safety of the house and watched the fire mesmerized as the flames shot from the barrel to the sky.


          After a short while the fire stopped as suddenly as it started and we went back out to the barrel to peer inside.  Every trace of the Ouija board was gone !   I am not sure what we expected when we bought that Ouija board, but I guarantee we got more than we bargained for.  That one incident made a believer out of me that a Ouija board was nothing to mess with and I have never attempted to again.  I learned from that experience to allow fate to take its course and once folks are dead it is best to let them  rest in peace.   If you go looking for the devil, you will surely find him.  Until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

14 comments:

  1. I never thought a Ouja board was evil until I read your post. Now I'm a little nervous that I bought one for my daughter! :) Although I'd still love to have a session with John Edwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Kathy! I've heard stories, and would never bring one into my house :-) I would have been scared just as badly :-) Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You obviously did a great job on this piece...I have goose bumps! Satan scares me, too. He is way more powerful than I, so even the idea of a Ouija Board has always petrified me! Excellent job, really. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one once but was uncomfortable with it in the house. I threw it away. Also, I had a set of tarot cards. Don't ask me why... Dumb thing to play with. They went in the garbage too. Back about 15 years ago, things just didn't feel right in my house. I went through my house like a ghost buster and ferreted out every last remnant of the time in the '80's when I explored the new age junk. I spent a small fortune in books back then - hundreds even - and in the garbage they went. While I was at it, I stumbled upon some pics of an old boyfriend. Yep...trashed them too. When I was done, my house felt spiritually clean again. Or you can call me weird...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I never did either. I mean how could something be that can be bought in any toy department??? Well, that was my experience and it scared the hell out of me. After that happened it made me wonder who really does answer the questions posed to the Ouija board. Kind of scary. I didn't want anymore to do with it. The thing is it would be all fine and good if you could choose who to have a session with but... you get whatever you get. We got Satan. Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Theresa, I guess when we bought it all those years ago I figured it was just a silly game. It was right there among all the other games in the toy department. I am so glad you enjoyed it and am pleased as punch that I conveyed the terror and suspense that was felt at the time. Thank you for stopping in to read and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo, wow what a wonderful compliment!! Goosebumps is definitely a reaction I was going for. We were young, stupid, and unsuspecting. Who would have thought something marketed as a toy could be so sinister?? Thanks for stopping by to read and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darlene, I also used to have a deck of tarot cards at one time plus tons of books on their interpretation. I found it interesting...but I also discovered after a while I began to rely on them...instead of G0d and it became a bad thing. Like you, I eventually chucked all that stuff to the garbage and opened my mind and heart to G0d and just let Him take over. Things have went a lot more smoothly since, and the house doesn't have the tension anymore. I know exactly what you mean about spiritually cleaning the house. I did it too and never regretted it. Thanks for stopping in to read and comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow--that had to be pretty freaky! I heard too many bad stories about Ouija board to ever attempt messing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenn, it was pretty freaky!! Honestly I don't know what possessed us, but we got a rude awakening that it was nothing to mess with. Thanks for stopping by to read and comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I believe you. Ouija boards are trouble. I too have had and heard of weird experiences with them. It's not just a kid's toy. Thanks for sharing your fascinating story.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce, makes you really wonder about them!! Thanks for stopping in to read and comment. I am so pleased you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a good story, Kathy. Had been told by my Mother that the Ouija board and tarot cards were evil. But, I wondered too why they were sold in the toy departments with other board games. We did play with a Ouija board one time with our neighbors. It said that my sister's children would be boys and mine would be girls and ---- that turned out to be true!

    I'd also heard stories like what you experienced so I never brought them into my home. Anyway, I'm so glad things turned around for you. And, glad that you posted this article. It may help others to make good choices.

    There are lots of games out there and I know your family enjoys playing board games together. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Betty, the Ouija board just seems to be one of those evils that everyone has to try once and get out of their systems. It provokes a certain level of curiosity when you are young and want to know your destiny. In our case it was appealing to try to contact loved ones we had lost and desperately missed. We got a lot more than we bargained for. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete