Friday, February 24, 2012

The Fog Lifted and All Became Clear


      Did you ever have one of those weeks where absolutely nothing went as planned and nothing was as it seemed?  I really don’t like change, upheaval or anything that upsets my applecart in any way. I would just rather drift along in the status quo. Unfortunately, that wasn’t in the cards for me.  Although I planned to post everyday, those plans went to hell in a hand basket in short order.  Instead of giving a specific topic, the Writer’s Post blog hop challenge is to write anything of my choosing.    I could write about why the little birdie flies upside down on the Peanuts cartoons or I could explore the mystery of why my dog Jolly is capable of blowing random fart juice when the urge strikes, but that would be just a little too much.  Instead I will give you a view of just what my week was like.


      We tried out a new 4H club and were happily impressed.  The meeting started promptly when it was supposed to and the club actually had an agenda!  We didn’t have to wait another half hour to see if any latecomers wandered in.  Instead of the leader running the whole meeting and complaining about her involvement at every turn and continually repeating all the major decisions were to be left to the under 13 age group who stared ahead clueless, the president rapped his gavel on the table and the meeting commenced.   There were promises of barbeques and ice cream in the future and even mock judging so the kids could tweak their projects and stand a better chance at a blue ribbon.  


        By Wednesday, I was still fairly optimistic.  My daughter had been experiencing severe headaches and I finally had the money to have her eyes tested.  The result was the obvious…she needed glasses to read.  I scored two pair for her for the bargain price of $59.00 and the eye exam was free.  I love it when I actually get a great deal!


       




         At the butt crack of dawn Thursday morning my cell phone roused me from a deep sleep.  I reached over and answered it.  The superintendent of schools was calling to announce a two hour delay due to weather.  Since I had no clue any bad weather had been forecasted, this was news to me.   When I let out the dogs I discovered the world blanketed with a dense layer of fog.  I reset the clock to reflect the two hour delay and happily burrowed back under my warm blankets quickly falling to sleep.  From the deep abyss of dreamland, once again the rings of my cell phone jolted me awake.  Once again I answered to discover the superintendent of schools on the other end.  This time he was canceling school altogether.  Back in my day we would have had to have snow clear to our armpits and a wind chill of 60 below to catch a break and get to stay home!


       The fact that both of my kids got a day off school didn’t change the fact that I had things to do and errands to run so we all piled into the blazer and took off.  I didn’t get far before the windshield wiper malfunctioned.  Instead of traveling across the windshield the stupid thing was jerking completely off the window and then only going half way back.  It was raining and I barely could see where I was going so I turned tail and hurried back to the house. We switched vehicles, and continued on our merry way.  By the end of the day my son was complaining of a sore throat and pain in his neck.  Needless to say, he was home sick Friday.


          So in light of everything that happened this week, the fog lifted on more than one front.  I was enlightened about fart juice and a new 4H club, my daughter got glasses and her vision cleared, and my son is on antibiotics.  After all that, I hope I have fulfilled the challenge in some capacity while bringing you all up to speed until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

12 comments:

  1. This was great! I never really thought about why Woodstock flies upside down, but I'm glad he does...it's quite cute! Yes, you had a hectic week, but you prevailed through it all and got everything handles. Good job, Mom! Congratulations on the two for 59.00! THAT is a deal! My daughter needs contacts for ballet...wonder how much those will be. She is wearing glasses now. She is so near sided it isn't even funny! Couldn't read the largest print on the eye chart! I'll be taking her in next week. Glad everyone is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beachlover, I went to Eye Care Express in South Bend, IN. They sent me an ad in the mail. My husband and I had went there before for our glasses. The staff is really nice and will help you get the best deals possible to help you save money. I am just hoping next week is a lot better and goes a lot smoother. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!

      Delete
  2. Getting glasses after needing them for awhile is an enlightening experience. Send the snow south.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, if had the power to send you a little of the white stuff I would. It is still drifting down. She was happy to get her glasses with their little cases. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!

      Delete
  3. I remember when I got my first glasses. I was amazed by the grass! It's not like carpet.
    It was a fairly calm week here, I'm feeling a little guilty now. You got through and I bet you're still smiling. :)
    Big hugs and ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I am not quite to smiling yet. I woke up with a migraine right between the eyes. I am glad the week is behind me and am looking forward to a better week full of lots of writing inspiration! :D Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!

      Delete
  4. Well--I think you persevered and all is well!! YAY!! Your daughter can see and she found a 4H group that suits her. Hope you son feels better soon! Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, always something to cheer about! Now if I could only solve all the other problems in life that come along so easily I will be one happy camper! Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!

      Delete
  5. I remember when I got my first pair of glasses - the whole world suddenly looked better, and the detail! Everything had definition instead of being just a mass of colour! Hope this helps your daughter's headaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, I remember when I first got mine too. It was like a whole new world! Thank you for stopping by to read and my post and comment!!

      Delete
  6. I was about 12 when I got my first pair of glasses. I couldn't believe how much I had been missing. I remember standing in my backyard and seeing the grass and the leaves and thinking "how did I not know my eyesight was not right?" I'm glad your daughter now has glasses and I hope she will not have any more headaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene, I am glad too. I felt really bad when we didn't really have the money for them when the headaches first started. She looks so nice in them. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!!!

      Delete