Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Page From My Brag Book- Writer’s Post Blog Hop #37


     When this blog hop was first posted, I was caught scratching my head and my a$$ wondering what in the world I could brag about. The first thing that flew into my addled brains was absolutely nothing.  I am not a bragger and am usually annoyed by people who do. It is just rude.  At first glance, I considered not even writing this post.  I mean really, I don't do anything that is really that special to brag about or even waste breath repeating.  After reading some of my fellow writer’s post submissions, I was finally inspired.  


      When my daughter was born in 2000, I quit my job to be a stay at home mommy.  At the time my identity was firmly entwined with the position I had held for 6 years.  At the end of my pregnancy I was miserable and I just wanted to escape the pressures of my full time job.  By that time, I was on bed rest.  I had an excuse to not go back to work until after the baby was born.  It seemed so much easier to be home.  I looked forward to the birth of my baby.   My husband and I both decided that we wanted our kids to be raised by us, instead of babysitters.  We knew the road to the future would be rocky with only one income, but that was the sacrifice we were willing to make.  With my husband being an over the road truck driver, we felt it was important that at least one us could be with the kids 24/7.  Although there have been those that had plenty to say about the fact that I stayed home and continue to have a big problem with it because they didn’t get to, it has worked OK for us.


        I began writing online in 2009.  It was something that fell in my lap.  I had seen an opportunity online to work from home and I filled out the questionnaire and promptly forgot about it.  I had prayed to G0d hoping for some kind of answer of what I was to do with my life.  Was wiping noses and butts the best it was ever going to get??  I asked Him to show me what I should do.  Within days this company called me up and told me they wanted me to write reviews for them.  They would set me up with a website for a fee, and I could make the money back writing reviews.  Thinking this was G0d’s answer; I began to write and discovered I seemed to have a knack for it.  Slowly but surely my personality and voice emerged.  I discovered I really loved to write. I loved the interaction I got with the outside world. I loved blogging with groups.  When the company went under last year, I started a new website from scratch on blogger and went on.  Recently I redesigned it again changing color schemes and adding an avatar of myself and a dancing replica of my dog Jolly. This time I didn’t have to pay someone to do it for me.  I did it on my own, and I am extremely excited and proud of my accomplishment.


         When asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always wanted to be an artist.  I went to school for graphic design, and now I feel I am living the dream. I am a full time mommy, and I am pursuing a passionate hobby that gives my creativity a place to flourish.  I am so glad I found that I could write and have my creativity's thirst quenched.   It is good for what ails me!!  It would be great to get paid for it, but I am just as pleased to write for the fun of it until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker‘s wife.





10 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I've been finally catching up with my online activities and while I was at it I see a post on my Facebook Wall and thought to myself, I wonder what the Truckers Wife is up to. Great blog beginning. So awesome, inspiring and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I am so pleased you enjoyed my post and that you found it inspiring!!Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. What do you mean you have nothing to brag about? Seriously? You are the wife of a long distance trucker, raising your babies mostly on your own and writing almost daily while running a household nearly single handedly! BRAG....and this page is totally worth bragging! it is so awesome and you are so awesome and I just love you! There. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I hate to brag...but yes, you are right. I do it all alone. My husband is rarely home. He does his part by keeping those wheels rolling so the money keeps coming and we can pay bills. I do everything else, and it often feels that way. Some days I am so overwhelmed. Especially when something major goes to hell here in the house. I have survived the replacing of the water pump, the water heater, and the replacing of the well going days without any water at all. Stuff like that blows my mind, but I have endured and survived and usually have a hilarious story to tell about it. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!!

      Delete
  3. First of all, kudos to you for being a stay at home mom! Those who mumble n' grumble about it are the ones who weren't for whatever reason able to do it or never wanted to. Whatever.

    Second, you have PLENTY to brag about. Stay at home mom, wife, having an OTR driver as a husband leaves you single parenting a lot.. And your online business.. Kudos, kudos, kudos to you for everything you do, are doing and have done! You def. have bragging rights!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magical Mystical Mimi, bless your heart! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind encouraging comments. I am grinning ear to ear!!

      Delete
  4. Great post, Kathy! I agree with everyone else-you have plenty to brag about. Being at home is a lot more difficult than a lot of people realize. When you add to that raising your kids and writing, you really don't have any downtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, you are right, I really don't. I think I sit on this computer most of the day and night, till I write my stuff, read everyone else's stuff, and promote. At least now both of my kids are in school, so that time is mine to get a lot done. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments.

      Delete
  5. You should be very proud Kathy no small thing you are doing on either front. Glad you found your voice for this post in particular. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fireman, thank you!! Sometimes I find it all a little overwhelming, but I keep plugging away. I am glad I have found my voice too. It makes it a lot easier to whip a post out, and you can see me in every single one. I write like I talk. Literally. It works for me. Anything you read here, would definitely come right out of my mouth. LOL And then some! LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!!!

      Delete