Monday, April 2, 2012

The Cat and the Fiddle

     The powers that be at NaBloPoMo ask today “What was the first poem you ever memorized?”  That is a very good question and I am not sure of the answer.  I loved nursery rhymes when I was little and spent hours pouring over all the glossy pages of the first volume of the Childcraft encyclopedia books.  The first volume was jam packed with wonderful nursery rhymes, poems, and stories.  I loved looking at the pictures and reading the rhymes aloud.  Because I looked at that particular volume so frequently, I memorized many of the rhymes.


      One of my all time favorites was “Hey Diddle, Diddle”.  The idea of cats with fiddles, dogs laughing, dishes running about with spoons, and a cow jumping over the moon fascinated me.  I loved the whimsical tale it told with all the participants having such a good time.  Even more I loved the pictures illustrating the rhyme in full detailed color.




   






    When my daughter was just 18 months old, I taught her to recite “Hey Diddle Diddle” to the delight of anyone who wanted to listen.  Instead of reciting it, she would sing the words and kind of wave her hands to the beat.


     




    Although many other favorite rhymes came to mind from “Humpty Dumpty” to “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”, the clear winner of the first poem my daughter and I ever memorized , is “Hey Diddle, Diddle” until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.



2 comments:

  1. Garsh--there are so many nursery rhymes, not sure I could pick a favorite. As for poems Irish Blessings were ones I had memorized at a rather early age like: May the Road Rise to Meet You, May the Blessing of Light Be on You, and May Love and Laughter Light Your Days, etc. You get the idea!

    Lovely post!! Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, there are a lot to choose from but I always loved the idea of the cat and the fiddle and how that cow managed to jump over the moon. Every time I looked at a cow, I wondered! LOL I really don't believe I was in to that many poems. Thanks for stopping in to read and for your comments!!

      Delete