Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Candy Land or Chutes and Ladders?


         Ever since I was a little girl I have been fascinated with the world that existed on the game board depicting Candy Land.  I first encountered Candy Land when I was a mere preschooler at my babysitter’s.  It was so colorful, and the idea of following the rainbow road through the Candy Cane Forest and over Gumdrop Mountain and reaching King Candy’s castle before anyone else was invigorating for the preschooler in me.


          When my daughter was born I could not wait until she was old enough to play Candy Land with me.  While some parents waited with baited breath for their little darling’s first word and first step, I added the day when my little one could finally join me in a rousing game of Candy Land.  The box says the game is for ages 3 and up, so as soon as my daughter approached the age of 3 you can bet your last buck I rushed out and bought Candy Land for her.


             Amazingly enough, I had never played Chutes and Ladders as a kid.  I wasn’t going to have my kids grow up without having experienced Chutes and Ladders, so I made sure I had that game too.  To be honest, I have quite a collection of children’s games.  After all these years of playing alone, I had playmates!  Willing participants to play whatever games I wanted anytime I wanted.  Although my son will occasionally agree to play games, it is my daughter who is the game playing kindred spirit of my heart.  She is always up for a game with mommy and for that I will always be eternally grateful.




           Since I have grown up I like games with a lot more challenge than Candy Land and at this point, if I had to choose between the two I would go for Chutes and Ladders.  I love the unpredictability of the game.  It is entirely fate whether you land on a space that sends you up, up, up or on one that sends you sliding practically back to start.  I love the challenge of getting to the top.  My son throws a fit if he lands on a slide, and does everything in his power to cheat.  He is 6 and all about winning and doesn’t consider a game fun unless he does win. 


             I am glad I grew out of that!  I love the thrill of the game.  Still, Candy Land will always have its charm with its colorful graphics and engaging characters.  The powers that be have even created a very entertaining computer game and animated movie based on the classic game.   I discovered a video on You Tube announcing that a live action full feature film is in the works starring and directed by Adam Sandler.  Very few details are available from what I could find, but it is in the works.  In my opinion Adam Sandler would make a perfect Mr. Mint!  Naturally, my kids can’t wait to see any movie about Candy Land.  I may be 44, but the kid in me would love to see Candy Land brought to life by the magic of Hollywood.  So, the question is…“what’s your poison, Candy Land or Chutes and Ladders?” until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.


14 comments:

  1. Love both of these games and I still have mine...somewhere. Time to go digging and find me a player to play with. Great post Kathy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, after writing this post I went digging for them myself and discovered my Candy Land has some missing pieces. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  2. I played Candyland too... I never did play Chutes and Ladders. My family was always big into boardgames and family game night. Now all the adults and the kids will get together for holidays and out come the games. I love Pictionary (we have the old one with a giant dry erase board) and in no time, everyone is playing and laughing and yelling. I feel sad that the younger kids have the video games out often and they play by themselves..Sad to me..but when the "old fashioned" games do make their appearances, the kids are right in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie, there are times when I think the invention of video games was a bad thing. I love the interaction I have with my kids when we sit down and play a game together. I also appreciate how nice it is for them to have video games to keep them occupied and happy as long as they don't make a steady diet of them. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!

      Delete
  3. funny I remember chutes and ladders but not candy land, and I'm ashamed to say I don't think my kids owned either. I think because they seemed to play it in school already...not sure. funny, my older one was like that, would have a tantrum when he lost. Luckily, he's outgrown that. I think....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, some folks are just not big on sitting down and playing board games. They can be time consuming and life can get pretty hectic during the work week with school the next day and all. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!

      Delete
  4. Did you know that Adam Sandler is making a Candy Land movie????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, actually yes I did and I included that information in this blog. I look forward to seeing it. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!!

      Delete
  5. I played Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders but they were never my favorite. Board games were always for rainy days and we preferred as children to play outside. It wasn't until I got older and could play Monopoly, PayDay and Life that I really took to board games.

    Glad you could share your love of Candy Land with your daughter!!

    Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I think my favorite these days involve games with a plain ole deck of cards or maybe Skip Bo. I love playing Skip Bo!Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!!

      Delete
  6. I know I had Candy Land but I only played Chutes and Ladders with the children for whom I babysat, when I was a teen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, kids love these games! I couldn't believe how boring I found Candy Land once I grew up, but I still made sure I played it with both of my kids with the enthusiasm of a little kid as it deserved. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  7. My stepdaughter loves games and I still remember her pleasure and surprise when she was included in my parents evening squabble over the challenge of the day. "Stop cheating Louise.", "1-800-ears Earl.", "Learn to count ..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gene Pool Diva, that sounds like a blast!! My aunt and uncle introduced me to Scrabble once when I spent the week with them one summer at their house on the lake. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete