Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Masterpiece

Thank you to Jenn at Wine and Chat for this week's Writer's Post Blog Hop prompt! 

      I don’t believe I have ever created a masterpiece unless it would be my son or daughter.  Everything I have ever done has been a work in progress.  It is always shy of perfection and needs more work.

      If you have ever noticed, most artists that can actually claim their work includes masterpieces are dead, sad but true.  It is sad because people don’t appreciate people or their life’s work until they are gone.  It is then, and only then they become legend.  While thinking about this Writer’s Post writing prompt, I realized that I have studied a lot of masterpieces in History of Art when in college but I never really understood what in fact made them masterpieces.  Obviously a lot of people agreed that the painting or sculpture was exceptional but still all of that was based on opinion.  That was one thing I struggled with while studying art.  It is all based on a grey area of opinion.



       Instead of enjoying my art, in the end it stressed me out more than it was worth because I was constantly striving for perfection and that one masterpiece that would prove I was exceptional at my craft.  I found that I enjoyed the black and white, right or wrong mentality of computers better than the fickle opinions of the population.  I found I didn’t work well with so much grey area left to opinion.  Deep down I believe that is why I ultimately walked away from graphic design school and never went back.


 

       There have been countless musical masterpieces created by famous composers and countless other displays of creativity that by one person or another have been deemed masterpieces.  Some may even go so far as to deem this blog a masterpiece, exceptional beyond compare.  Instead of being fact, it would once again be opinion and something everyone would need to agree with to be true.

         Gazing at the ocean waves lapping onto a beach, a sunrise or sunset, or a delicate flower in full bloom I realize that the greatest example of a masterpiece is all around us in G0d’s creations until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.


14 comments:

  1. You have made a very good point here. In the end, beauty (and masterpieces) are in the eye of the beholder, all a matter of personal taste and opinion. And even the so-called 'experts' often can't agree among themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, isn't that the truth! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. I see some of this so-called modern art called 'masterpieces' and wonder if they are looking at the same thing I am. It's so subjective. You are right though, the true masterpieces are found in nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, indeed G0d is the master artist. I notice it in all the beauty I find in nature. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. It is hard to find a masterpiece when we're busy nitpicking things to perfection. I find that I can't do creative things because I strive for something that doesn't exist...at least not according to the standards I set.

    Everything God created is a masterpiece, however. Look at the differences in each thing/person. Look at the things we consider imperfections. To Him, they are beautiful and were created on purpose. The masterpiece is in the differences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, well said! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. I remember my high-school art teacher (MANY years ago) explaining that one of the reasons artists often only really become famous after they die. She said it was because once they'd passed, their work would no longer be produced. It was a matter of supply and demand. Isn't that sad?

    I have a tatty print out of something that Neil Gaiman posted on his wall. I use it as a reminder when I need one. Anything can be art. Literally anything. This is the quote:

    "May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself."

    It's all in how we look at things. I'm a terrible critic of my own work. Nothing is ever good enough, no matter how well it turns out. I can always see flaws in it, and it discourages me. It gets to where I don't want to write anymore, or quilt, or do much of anything because it will never be good enough. I keep that quote right above my laptop for just that reason. It reminds me to go on.

    I went into computers too, and for very similar reasons. It's the same reason I love math - there's only one right answer, and no niggling debate over ethics is necessary.

    It's a funny old world, isn't it? Thank you for offering a glimpse into yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerimi, I am my worst critic too. It is hard to nit pick my own work. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. The universe IS FULL of masterpieces...and it IS all in the eye of the beholder. Perspective. My word for the year. Thanks for reminding me of it.

    PS (In my art, several years ago...I decided that everything I do is practice...fun...play...and because of that, I think, I love most of what I crank out)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bohemiannie art, I need to get to that point where I do art for fun and play. Right now that is where I stand with my writing. It is fun and a great past time. Thank you so much for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. Excellent post Kathy-- I agree-- nature is full of master pieces we just have to open our eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I am so pleased you liked it! Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  7. Absolutely ever so true - All of God's creations are masterpieces. Nicely done for the prompt. As always I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy, I am so pleased you enjoyed it!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete