Sunday, September 1, 2013

From 7 to 8




       A minute before midnight and then a minute after, as the clock ticked away one minute my son was 7 and the next 8 years old.  Yet he didn’t look different.  He is still my precious little boy full of piss and vinegar and topped with sweetness.   Where has the time gone?  Only yesterday it seems that my precious son was born at 8:31 am in the eighth month and on the thirty first day.  8:31 on 8/31 seems like quite the phenomenon to mark the birth of my only son.



       I watched as he transformed from a baby to a big boy growing taller each day.  I watched him stumble, fall, climb straight up, dive onto his head, and finally learn to walk and run.  I have prayed as he recovered from concussions caused by his over exuberance and tendency to act the dare devil andcried with him when he got stitches.   
His 7th year was full of milestones.  He completed 1st grade, read oodles of books, mastered math facts, and conquered lots of video games.  He even won first place at his school’s science fair and won the right to show his project at next level.  He completed his first year of 4H and brought home a blue ribbon.  Often I look into those big baby blue eyes that sparkle with happiness and mischief, see that big smile, and fall in love with him all over again just as I did the moment I first laid eyes on him.  I have endured his phases of everything Batman to his current fascination with Spiderman, and during it all worried that he didn’t eat enough and that he would waste away.  I still haven’t figured out how he could love vegetables when he was a baby and avoid them like the plague now.
  

       I was determined that I would not have another baby in September.  In our little family September is filled with events: our wedding anniversary, and my daughter’s and husband’s birthdays.  Even though my due date was in September, my son obviously agreed and made his big debut on the last day of August.  As if by magic he went from 7 to 8 in the blink of an eye.  One minute he was a precious little baby fresh home from the hospital wearing a preemie outfit and the next a little boy who will never be 7 again, but no matter how big he grows or where in the world he ends up, he will always be my baby, my little man, and my precious little miracle.



34 comments:

  1. As my baby boy approaches his 43rd birthday, next week, I feel exactly the same. He will always be my baby boy.

    This is a lovely birthday piece for a precious man in training from his loving momma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I am so pleased you enjoyed it. I am so proud of that little boy of mine. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. Love your post about your son, Kathy. Very touching. My baby boys are 17 and 19. Seems like only yesterday they were 7 years old. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writercat59, time goes by too fast!! Wish I could keep him little forever! ♥ Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. Awww so cute! I am sure this is a wonderful age! It is here that things often change for kids no? How I remember I was seven and sweet and eight and naughty :D :D

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richa, I have found that my son seems more mature and not as picky about what he eats. Either that or he finally likes my cooking. LOLOLOL Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Audrey, thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. Awww happy birthday little man!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I will pass on your wishes to him. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to your little boy. Yes, they do grow up fast. My little boy is now 25.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, thank you!! Time flies too fast for me. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday to your son. Mine turned 20 in May. 20! I think he should still be 7...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talya, I will pass on your birthday wishes! Time just flies. I wish I could keep my kids little but it looks as if they are growing up anyways. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. A belated Happy Birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suresh, thank you for the kind wishes, for stopping by, and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday to the young man. Kids just grow so fast. BTW I fret as much when my li'l one refuses the veggies , she as a baby loved. What's with the kids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainbow Hues, they sure do!!! If you figure out what is up with that let me know!! LOL Once I tricked him by literally grating the vegetables so tiny he didn't know the difference. Fooled him good and proper and he probably got more veggies in that one meal than he has had since he was a baby. LOL Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  10. Wow!! 8.31 and 8/31...This is super cool and so very awesome!! :)
    Belated birthday wishes to the big boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shilpa, I have always thought so too! Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  11. that's just so sweet!! our babies seem to grow up right under our very noses and we don't even seem to realise how fast they do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the little princess, it is all a little mind blowing when you take the time to celebrate a birthday and realize how big your baby has got. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  12. Sweet and cute 7-er. I love your challenge and its such a cute pic off ur son:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vishalbheeroo, thank you for stopping in and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  13. That's such a sweet post.. Belated birthday wishes to your son :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anditooblog, thank you for the birthday wishes and for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  14. Happy birthday! He is the same age as my youngest, though he turned 8 in APril.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, aww that is cool!! Thank you for the birthday wishes and for stopping by to read and comments! ♥

      Delete
  15. Thanks for sharing your little boy with us and a happy belated birthday. Enjoy the challenge, it's starting to be a bit gruelling with the writing, reading and replying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy, thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments. It will be grueling, but I am so determined!! Hope I can pull off some decent posts! ♥

      Delete
  16. Happy Birthday to your handsome young man. What great memories. Thank you for sharing them Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MiMi, thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments. How I love that boy of mine!! ♥

      Delete
  17. What a sweet blog about a sweet boy! He is precious.

    He will grow older, but he will always be your baby. My "baby" is 50 now. I still think of her as a little girl and when I look at her, I wonder where my baby went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene, I am so pleased you enjoyed it!! Yes he will always be my baby but I don't want to think about him being grown up yet. Just want him to stay little a while longer! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥ So good to see you!!!!

      Delete