Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Shipment

      Until the day I die, I’ll never forget those glassy, unblinking eyes.  She needed to die, plain and simple.  She had known entirely too much and was getting a little too free with sharing the knowledge.  I couldn’t afford to have her blabbing my business.  It would cost me everything.   Not only that, a lot bigger heads would roll if I were ever caught.  It would be a classic domino effect, and they would make sure I paid dearly with my life if that ever happened.   I should have never got involved with her in the first place.  Looking back now, I know I simply couldn’t resist.   She was hot…and a piece of work.  She had needed the job, so I had hired her as a receptionist at the art gallery thinking at the time she wasn’t too bright.  Little did I know that the beautiful bombshell actually did have a brain to go with those sapphire eyes, long sexy legs, and amazing rack.

       All of a sudden she starting putting 2 and 2 together, and lo and behold, it didn’t always add up to 4.  We were exporting art overseas packed with cartons lined with bags of the best cocaine money could buy.  The shipments were worth millions.  We packed it all in the best smelling coffee grounds to throw the scent off so the drug hounds at customs wouldn’t get wise to the operation.  All was going like clockwork until I decided to give in to lust and sleep with the bimbo.  That is when everything started going south.  I fancied myself falling for her.  I found her intoxicating and my tongue loosened up when she was around.  Once she figured out that my business didn’t only involve art, she got scared.  A scared woman with too much explosive knowledge can be dangerous.  I had no intention of going to prison for a loose tongued piece of ass no matter how good it was.

       So I killed her.  We had been intimate, so I figured it was up to me to get rid of her.  A friend of the boss owns the crematory in town and they wasted no time cremating her remains and helping me clean up the mess.  I personally packed what was left of Bridget in a crate holding Albrecht Durer’s painting of Oswalt Krel among this week’s shipment of coffee grounds and drugs.  My associates overseas would see to it that her ashes were disposed of.  No one would ever have to know.   As a stroke of luck, Bridget seemed alone in the world so no one should come asking questions.  If they do, I know nothing.   Surprisingly, I have never killed anyone before and never hope to again.  It left a bad taste in my mouth.  However, if they get in the way of business like the fair Bridget did I will be left with no choice.  After all, business is business.







45 comments:

  1. Good narration. Liked the flow and the twists :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayanta, I am so pleased you enjoyed my story! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. An interesting read Kathy...I like the ambiguity of gender of the storyteller. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, I am so pleased you enjoyed my story. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. My goodness! You had me right from the beginning, but did you really have to kill her? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, in my mind yes. I was trying to portray a drug dealer worried about covering his own ass and saving his own skin. That is what I imagine one of those type of folks do. He is so far into it, that there is no turning back and if he ever so much as dropped his guard it could be his own undoing. I am so pleased you enjoyed my story. Not sure why some of my stories get so blood thirsty. LOL Just how it flows and comes out. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, Kathy! That was a cold-blooded killer. What iron precision in his planning. Stunning narrative. The Speakeasy is lucky to have this entry this week. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shailaja, you say the sweetest things!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments! You really made my day. Unfortunately for me, and good for me...the Speakeasy is filled with far talented writers than I will ever be. I keep hoping that some of that sparkle will rub off by association. :)

      Delete
  5. He is one icy psychopath, no regrets. I feel sorry for the next receptionist. Superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments! I am so happy you liked my story! ♥

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. JoJo, I am so pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. Great story! I absolutely love the twist you gave to this AND appreciate that the staring eyes belonged to a woman rather than to the man I kept seeing while I wrote my version. Perfecto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mamamickterry, I am so pleased you enjoyed my story! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your amazing comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. Truly, business is business. Keep rockin', dealer! Great job :D

    www.atpixiehollow.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samriddhi, I am so pleased you enjoyed my story!! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  9. Very intense and a little unnerving too. Makes one want to choose their business partners a little bit more carefully...

    M. J.

    Writing Tips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MJ, yeah no kidding! Thank you for stopping by and for your lovely comments! ♥

      Delete
  10. Great job. Very disturbing, which means it did exactly what it was supposed to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I am so pleased you liked it! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  11. Great story. Never judge a book by it's cover, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tnkerr, exactly! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  12. Somehow I think it will come back to bite him. I can't see him getting away with it without leaving any kind of trace. (I think I've been watching too much Forensic Files!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jannatwrites, eventually it probably will but at least at this point he is pretty confident in himself! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  13. Kathy, you've outdone yourself with this one. It was positively gripping! I see a book of your short stories soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne, I am so pleased you enjoyed it!! Practice makes perfect. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  14. That was riveting Kathy! Love the cold calm of the "business is business" line and I'm thinking this is a great way to get rid of dead bodies. I wonder if that's what happened to Jimmy Hoffa? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I am so pleased you enjoyed my story! No one will ever really know what happened to Jimmy Hoffa!! LOL One of life's great mysteries! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  15. woww you have flair for writing crime stories... this is brilliant. Cold murder and gripping narration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rajlakshmi, I am so pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  16. Is the killer a 'he' or a 'she' ! And such cold bloodedness...You're an amazing narrator, Kathy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sreeja, in my mind he was a he! HA HA But NOW you have me wondering! Thank you for the giggles and for the amazing compliments in your comments! I am all smiles from the honey glow of it! ♥

      Delete
  17. A bit of a Noir Vibe going on here... with a surprise ending... Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait... Kathy is the writer, not the person telling the story. I thought when I saw 'Kathy' it was a woman narrating the story instead of a guy... I think a woman makes it even better.

      Delete
    2. testrutz, I am so pleased you liked it! Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  18. I wish she had not been killed :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pratibha, I felt it made the story a bit more realistic to do her in. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  19. Cold-blooded or what? Great voice for your narrator, Kathy – so matter of fact about everything, even killing. Nicely done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, I am so pleased you liked it! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  20. Brutal work, killing is -- and yet, done so easily and swiftly by your crafty, believable narrator. I like how you used the painting as part of the crime. Kudos, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. magoo45, I am so pleased you enjoyed it! Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  21. Ha!ha!What a wicked cool take and love the voice you used:-) Great job Kathy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atreyee, I am so pleased you enjoyed it so much! Thank you so very much for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  22. wo wo wo, is all I can think. This reminded me of a scene in the Sopranos when a woman is threatened by the FBI with the discussion of her meetings with them. It is so true you can know too much too fast with a sociopath. Good write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I am so pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete